What about the Marine band confirming Beyoncé lip-synched being reported by The Times and Washingtonian?
1. they don’t know what they’re talking about, as confirmed by a more recent Marine Corps Band spokesperson (check back in my blog a few posts ago).
2. your use of the word “reported” is suspect, at best.
3. I say they were covering for the fact that the band was the part of the presentation that you didn’t hear live. No, really (I mean about them being pre-recorded, not a “cover up” which is just me being snarky).
There’s no story here. NONE. Beyoncé recorded a vocal to have on hand as a backup in case of weather, technical glitches, personal health, and other unforeseeable events. This is standard operating procedure, and anyone with experience in live audio on the level of a Presidential Inauguration will confirm this.
She sang her ass off. Period. Those who are attempting to slander her performance as though she were the second coming of Milli Vanilli are supremely idiotic.
Regarding Ms. Knowles-Carter’s vocal performance, no one in the Marine Band is in a position to assess whether it was live or pre-recorded.
Capt. Gregory Wolf — About-Face: Marine Corps Spokesman Says Beyoncé Lip-Syncing Claims Are False
AS I SAID multiple times earlier today.
There’s a difference between 1) having a pre-record vocal on hand and 2) pretending to be singing.
Beyoncé, smartly, had a backup prepped and ready.
And she SANG her ass off.
[previously: CLICK HERE for all my Beyoncé-related posts on this “scandal”]
Here’s a different broadcast of Beyoncé’s performance of the National Anthem where the backup (pre-recorded) lead vocal is clearly audible behind (or next to) her live mic.
Every other mix I’ve heard had her live mic absolutely prominent, if not soloed. Today’s ridiculous charges of fakery are simply being exacerbated by “news” outlets repeating other news outlets as “hard journalism”… lame and incorrect.
Sent to me by my mate (and fellow music industry insider, though his foodie-blog wouldn’t tell you that)… supernavin.
I don’t actually care if Beyoncé lipsynced the National Anthem.
I care, deeply, that the truth gets reported.
I don’t believe that the media outlets who are merely confirming what the Marine Corps spokesperson said are actually doing any reporting on this. They’re just repeating, and even the New York Times is doing it. That’s pathetic. To me it’s the same thing as those journalists who let Manti Te’o get away with pretending to have a dead girlfriend for months on end.
And we won’t know if she lipsynced until we hear from her or the people in the production truck for the event. I’m weighing in here, casting my vote. An opinion. That’s all I’m doing. I mean, I think it’s a fairly unbiased and educated one, since I’m not a Beyoncé fan and I’ve got, oh, 20+ years in the recording studio and live sound business. I maintain that ifffffff she lipsynced… it was still an absolutely spectacular and breathtaking performance, because it was perfection.
But she didn’t. Or else I’m Jay-Z.
I just made all the guys at our studio watch Beyoncé’s performance of the National Anthem again.
5. watch the video @ 1:44-1:45… you can hear her smiling as she sings. This is a phenomenon we regularly hope for in the recording studio when there’s no visual to convey a singer’s emotions through to the listener. It’s likely Beyoncé knows this, given that she’s at the top of the music industry and works with many top-shelf production professionals. Duh. But faking it?! No way.
6. how in the hell is she supposed to stay in such tight sync with the track when she removes her earpiece? That’s her lifeline if she’s lipsyncing, her invaluable guide. That’s an absolute dealbreaker, positively sacrosanct to the performance if she’s indeed lipsyncing. She stays in absolute LOCKSTEP with her “pre-recorded” vocal if what y’all are saying is true, and that’s beyond unfeasabile in such a massive, live, unpredictable setting.
There is no way that is a lipsynced performance. No way. I’m telling you, no way.
Or I’m Jay-Z.
(Photo: NBC News)
It’s true what you’re hearing about what you heard not being ”true.” Beyoncé’s spectacular inaugural performance of the national anthem was indeed lip-synched.
The fact that she recorded a backup track and someone is saying she requested at some point to use that pre-recorded version does not mean that the vocal we ended up hearing was pre-recorded.
I maintain it was not lipsynced. I don’t see it. Nuh uh. And if she did, it’s even more spectacular as a performance. Seriously.
There should be some more checking of, you know, the facts here… as opposed to repeating what someone else has said. News. Journalism. About the manufacture of pop music. Ridiculous on a few fronts, I realize.
1. this news is bullshit.
2. if it’s not bullshit, she’s the greatest lipsyncer of all time. seriously.
3a. pre-recording a studio version for huge live events is nothing new… technical issues, performer illness, having a backup is good policy and these things need to be accounted for when dealing with millions and millions of viewers for a live event. This is standard operating procedure and proves nothing.
3b. she would have had to record on the same mic as the one used live, replete with plosives (the low end issues that come with “P” and “WH” consonants that move a lot of air across the mic’s diaphragm which are apparent in the live audio).
3c. you’d think she would have cleaned up a Mariah-esque vocal run or two, as opposed to the ones that got slightly away from her on the broadcast.
3d. the removal of her earpiece also proves nothing, this is fairly standard for one-off songs where there’s a dynamic or loud portion that is impossible to account for in “rehearsals” for an event of this magnitude, and I don’t understand those who see this as some sort of visual commitment to performance “deceit.”
3e. we’re really expected to believe that she’s lined up every visible breath and lip move perfectly with a recording that was done just before the event and with little rehearsal? This is an impossible task. Impossible. Unless she’s the absolute best lipsyncer of all time, as I said. I mean, by like a lot.
4. can anyone point me to a link that isn’t behind the paywall at UK’s The Times? Do they have anything more than “The Times has learned…” or “Here’s a picture of Beyonce in a recording studio with some Marine Corps people holding sheet music”? I say they’re just jealous of America’s epic singing talent. Heh. :)
Basically, if she’s lipsyncing, then I’m Jay-Z.