My drummer is relocating to Milwaukee and I want to get him a rad going-away present. I'm thinking like something that's not a pain to move - so maybe a gift certificate or passes to some great Milwaukee place. Any suggestions? He's brand new to the area. He doesn't drink. Help? THANKS.
Boy, that “he doesn’t drink” thing is really putting a dent in this here list… but, I’ll try a couple:
1. the Milwaukee Film Festival is almost over (Oct. 11) but might have some packages available for next year?
2. if he likes top shelf burgers, AJ Bombers is kickass, nationally-recognized, and active on social media for whatever that’s worth (tweet them suggestions and whatnot).
3. my favorite theater in the area for big budget and mainstream releases is the North Shore Cinema (in Mequon) because they have huge screens, reserved seats, some of my very favorite pizza in the city (from Zaffiro’s, which is attached), and full bar (not that this helps your non-drinking friend… he knows this is Milwaukee, right?!), or I like the Oriental (downtown) for arthouse and independent films. Both offer gift certificates and are good places for people who like going to the movies.
4. Summerfest is the world’s largest music festival, and it’s on Milwaukee’s lakefront every summer. Pretty righteous, but you gotta like crowds… it’s packed.
5. the Mitchell Park Conservatory (a.k.a. “The Domes”) is a great hang if he’s into plants. Really.
6. we’ve got a casino (Potawatomi) and I bet you they’d sell you a gift certificate or three, if he’s into poker or gaming.
7. frozen custard… this is kind of a big deal here… super rich, luxurious, frozen, delectable sorta-ice-cream-but-so-much-better. I’m partial to Kopps. And, yes, we all eat it even in the winter.
8. my favorite place to see shows here, either music or comedy, is the Pabst Theater. The same management team runs the Riverside and Turner Hall (also both nice for seeing shows), but the Pabst is something special. Great vibe, amazing history, more intimate. They offer gift cards at their site, and they have a TON of great shows in all three locations all year long. Amazing community that they’ve built here in Milwaukee, really something to be proud of, actually.